Tuesday, June 14, 2011
First Day of Really Working
So I actually got to start answering phones and inputting letters today...work that seems a thousand times more interesting when working in DC. When I first got into the office Nick and I tried to go to a talk given by Donald Rumsfeld specifically for interns at the Library of Congress but by the time we got there, around fifteen minutes early, it had already been full for about an hour so we headed back to the office. I had a couple of the "regulars" call in, the staff here knows who they are so well it's almost frighting but they mainly call around the same time so I guess its easy to see the pattern after awhile. The Congressman was in the office today but with Congress just getting off district time things were a little crazy so I still haven't gotten to meet him. I also got to hear what the warning bell for votes sounds like, it goes off throughout the whole building including through a clock in the front office. The clock has one red light (which I'm pretty sure means that they are in session since it was on all afternoon) and about eight other lights (that give some sort of indicator as to the time left on a vote along with the bell). There's lots more to learn but I'm having a great time!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glad to hear you have hit the floor running. We call our regulars either "frequent fliers" or "the list of usual suspects." This blog is perfect. I'm forwarding it to others.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Dad