Saturday, June 18, 2011

Our Nation's Past

Today I went to the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History.  It was fairly crowded but as I found out later not nearly as crowded as it could be.  I tried to take pictures but they didn't come out due to the glass so you'll have to see them for yourselves some day but there were some awesome exhibits.  One of my favorites was the one dedicated to the First Ladies of the US.  It had fun history about them along with personal items, mainly the dresses they wore on the day of their husband's inauguration.  I got to see Michelle Obama's white dress up close and wow the detail on it is beautiful.  There were also the dresses for the last twelve First Ladies and then other random ones that extremely fragile from the 1800s.  Jackie Kennedy's jewelry was also there and what is funny is that almost all of the pearls that the First Ladies wore were fake and made of glass, well at least the ones they left for display were.  Also in the museum was an exhibit on the evolution of science in America which I found fun after my classes this last quarter that focused a lot on the start of modern science.  There were a lot more exhibits in there and after three hours I finished going through them all.  After I was done there I had planned to go on to the Natural History museum but I turned around almost the second I walked through the doors because the number of people there was unbelievable but I guess that's what you get on a hot Saturday in DC.  I ended up grabbing lunch at the Air and Space museum but exhaustion finally hit me and I decided I would come back another day.  I think I will plan on doing the museums on the weekdays I have off from now on so that I can hopefully escape some of the large tour buses that bring people in from the surrounding areas for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment