Friday, June 17, 2011

Seeing the Sights


Today was my first day off so I decided to start seeing the memorials.  The structures and quotes that I found along the way were breathtaking and my writing can hardly do justice to what stood before me but I will do my best.  From GW the first one I got to was the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, where I stopped to read the notes left by others to their fallen loved ones whose names were listed above.  One note read "even after 41 years you are still the one" and just goes to show how the war changed people's lives forever.  From there I went to the Lincoln Memorial which makes you feel as though you were a hobbit because it is so massive.  One thing I have learned is that you can find the symbol of the bundle of reeds just about everywhere here.  Another intern and I were talking about it the other day because they are found all over the capitol building and then I also spotted them today on the sides of Lincoln's chair.  I know they have something to do with a symbol of power but I am still trying to find more of the history behind them and will write if I find anything out.  I was also able to stand on the spot where Martin Luther King Jr gave his 'I Have a Dream' speech, a view of the National Mall which I would assume to normally be amazing but the reflecting pool is currently drained and under construction.  On the other side of the Lincoln Memorial is the Korean War Veterans Memorial where there is the amazing sketching of soldiers faces on the black granite along with the huge statues of the soldiers.  I like the affect that the granite has here, as well as at the Vietnam Memorial, on putting your reflection in with the pictures.  It made me stop and think how those people gave up their lives and caused mine to be what it is today.  I then walked on to the World War II Memorial where I was able to go around and read some of the amazing quotes on the walls.  Through out the war memorials there is the common theme that 'war is not free' (from the Korean Memorial) and that we don't all pay the same price for what we are able to have living here.  These were the only ones I got to today and I hope to make it to more tomorrow.  I was able to see the Washington Monument from just about everywhere I went and am looking into getting tickets to go to the top of it soon!!  It is so great getting to live so close to all this history and exploring the city was lots of fun today.  I also walking my the Environmental Protection Agency today and decided that it would be one of the coolest buildings to work in because it just looks amazing from the front.  I can't wait to keep exploring tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment