Thursday, June 30, 2011

Colbert Super PAC

Today, since I didn't need to go into the office, I headed down to the FEC to see if Stephen Colbert's super PAC was approved...which it was.  I got there with about twenty minutes to go until the meeting (it was a lot longer walk than I thought it would be) and got straight in line to go through security.  I was in line with two interns who had been allowed to leave their offices to come over so we had some funny conversations as we waited for another forty minutes to get through security.  I don't know what was taking them so long because when I got there only about fifty people were in line ahead of me but I made it into the viewing room (the hearing room had been full for awhile) and was able to see the last ten minutes or so of the meeting projected on a screen.  As soon as the decision was announced they concluded the meeting and there was a flood of people back outside to see Stephen give his victory speech.  The number of media cameras was crazy but I saw an opening in their area so I headed to it and claimed my spot in the crowd.  I ended up next to yet another intern and we agreed before Stephen came out to take pictures of us with him giving his speech behind us so we were all set.  We were waiting for quite awhile and the crowd started to get a little testy in the heat as more media groups tried to join in on the action.  He came out and gave a very fun speech, the end of which is captured in the clip below.  The ipad that he holds up at the end was used to take donations via credit card and the women next to me told be that if you hold out a dollar for donation he'll be sure to come over.  I was standing almost against the car that was there to take him away and was able to shake his hand as he was finishing up and walking to the car.  It was lots of fun mixed in with a lot of pushing and yelling as people tried to get close.  Now to see what this decision means going forwards into the 2012 election...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment