Monday, August 8, 2011

The House Floor

While most of the day was slow I did get to go onto the floor of the House for the first time today.  I went out to learn the extended tour that I will have to give tomorrow and Zach was able to show me a few other places as well.  We are now able to take tour groups on the extended tour because Congress is no longer is session so the security is a little less then when Congressmen are walking down the hallways.  The extended tour includes the hallways that lead off of the crypt and they have some amazing artwork painted on the walls and ceilings.  I was able to see the stairwell that the President walks down on the way to the inauguration on the west side of the Capitol; the door had an alarm system hooked up so we didn't go out to the balcony.  I did get to go out onto the Speaker's balcony which gives an amazing view of the National Mall.  We then headed over to the House chambers where we walked through the Speaker's hallway (named due to the portraits of former speakers that line the walls) and onto the floor.  The room, which always seems so small from the gallery, felt huge as I stood there.  I was able to push the buttons that the Congressmen use to vote with and adjust the podium that they debate from.  It was amazing to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment