Friday, August 19, 2011
White House Tour
Today I went with the other two interns from the office to see the White House!! We went on a Member's Pass which allowed us to go through some of the lines quicker which made up for the fact that we had to be there before 8am to get in. The difficulty in going to the White House is that you are not allowed to take any type of bag inside so I wore my only skirt with pockets and took only my id, credit card, and cell phone. We walked through the eastside of the building getting to look into the library and china rooms and then on the next level we actually walked through some of the rooms, like the green, blue, and red rooms (obviously implying the color that they are decorated in). In walking through the different rooms they have the carpets rolled up towards the center and little runners around the outside to protect the floor from the steady flow of people. It is a self guided tour which feels more like waiting in line at Disneyland because I followed the same people throughout almost the whole tour. The last hallway that we walked through looked very familiar and one I saw the red carpet roll I realized that it had to be the hallway that has been on so many TVs when the President walks in to address the press. To make sure that it wasn’t just the same red carpet we asked the Secret Service Agent (they are the one throughout each room giving the history of the rooms) and she informed us that it is the hallway and that the green room where we had just walked through is where he prepares just before walking out. That was the end of the tour so we exited out of the north door where pictures were allowed (or at least not discouraged) and so the camera-phones were out as soon as we got outside. The three of us grabbed some coffee in the downtown area before John and I headed into the office for the day. The phones continued to be quiet like they have been all week so it was a relaxing end to the week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment