Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Last Day in the Office
Today was my last day of working in the office and it was definitely unlike any other day I have been in DC. The day started off just like the others from the last few weeks with a few phone calls and mail cataloging before lunch. I had just finish eating a chocolate cupcake treat as the earthquake hit the east coast. Realizing that it was an earthquake took a few seconds since the shaking started so slowly and it just wasn't the first reason to come to my mind while sitting in a DC office. It took a few minutes before the evacuation alarm sounded in the building and that's when the all of us headed out into the parking lot. I realized that I had forgotten my purse once I got outside and was wishing for my sunglasses. While waiting in the lot I explained to some staffers from a Kentucky office how aftershocks could occur and that they would probably be needing to check the building's structure for safety. I waited with the rest of the staffers who were in the office today for awhile and then we headed over to a bar on Pennsylvania to wait inside for more information. I waited till a little after four hoping that they would open the building back up so that I could grab my bag but finally gave up. I went back to the dorm where Nicole had been waiting and we went out to see what was going on around the city. The Smithsonian's were all closed and it seemed like a lot of people had already taken off from work. While walking by the buildings where the different news shows are taped, we came across the news groups out on the street setting up for broadcasts later. It was a crazy way to end my last day of work but I'll still get to go back to grab my bag tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment