Friday, July 29, 2011
Finally A Vote
Today was again spent in worry about the debt crises and it is still not over. Obama again asked the public to call into their Congressman's offices but we weren't hit too bad and it was actually slow for a little while. After the vote was postponed from yesterday we finally heard that it was going to take place sometime around 6 so I decided to stay in the office to watch it. After watching some of the final debates on C-SPAN I was told that I should go watch it from the gallery so I quickly started walking over there. I was able to skip to the front of the security checkpoint line and go into the gallery just before the vote started in the House. It was a lot like the other day with everyone staying on the floor but there was definitely a different hurried sort of look on staffers faces who were running between the different Congressman and have quick whispered conversations. The bill did pass but was defeated later tonight in the Senate. Both sides of Congress are going to be is session this weekend and I hope that they will start to get a little more open to compromise as the deadline grows closer. I did stay in the gallery for a some of the votes that followed Boehner's bill and was excited to find out that our Congress can be just as exciting as British Parliament. If you have never watched clips from the 'discussions' in the British Parliament it is a must do because they are so funny but as I saw after the votes the House can get a little rowdy as well. After one of the votes that followed the debt bill the chairman was not calling the end of the vote which made quite a few of the Democrats mad and then started annoying the Republicans as well. The chairman was waiting for the go ahead from the party leaders to move onto the next vote but they were having a discussion in a large group so instead he just stood there waiting. After a few minutes Congressmen from around the room started yelling for the chairman to move onto the next, and last, piece of business for the night but he continued standing waiting for the ok from the party leaders. They did finally move on and there were a few cheers heard around the room.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment